The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens in a few weeks, but Sony continues to busily construct the architecture to turn its solo superhero franchise into a multi-spinoff megafranchise, with villain-centric films about The Sinister Six and Venom promising to offer a slightly darker alternative to the glitter-bright Marvel Studios universe. (If you will, Sony’s Spider-verse is the Hot Topic to Marvel Studios’ Pacific Sunwear.) The Sinister Six appears closer to reality, with Drew Goddard apparently onboard to write-direct. But the studio also dropped a potentially big hint about the Venom film on the Daily Bugle Tumblr built for Amazing Spider-Man 2. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Venom (1-2 of 2)
2. Sony’s announcement that they will expand their rebooted Amazing Spider-Man franchise in every conceivable direction represents a new peak in Hollywood’s current vogue for franchise-building brinksmanship. Marvel Studios revealed their master plan gradually: Release an Iron Man here, announce a Thor there, wait until Avengers is a hit before you start really freaking people out with Guardians of the Galaxy.
After X-Men: First Class was an okay-not-gangbusters hit, Fox carefully retrenched: Mix in the original director and the original cast, throw out one fan-bait title (Days of Future Past) and then, when they least expect it, throw out another (Apocalypse.) When Disney announced Star Wars: Episode VII, they led with a creative-team announcement: Michael Arndt is writing it! You know him! Toy Story 3! (There followed a lengthy search for a director — the Internet Age equivalent of Selznick looking for his Scarlett O’Hara — and the eventual departure of Arndt.) Warner Bros. is building up to Justice League one granular casting announcement at a time. READ FULL STORY
- Christopher Nolan's first Comic-Con
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': First trailer's here
- 'Big Brother': Evicted houseguest is...
- 'Veronica Mars' fans win mtvU honors
- Mark Hamill talks 'Star Wars' at BBC
- 'Legend of Korra' to move online
- 'Pornstache' not returning to 'OITNB'?
- 'Once Upon a Time' casting Prince Hans