Think there is no letter “D” in SXSW? Think again. Jack Black and Kyle Gass’ acoustic-metal rockers Tenacious D are set to play a concert in Austin to promote the new Yahoo! Screen web comedy Ghost Ghirls, about a pair of ditzy ghost hunters played by Amanda Lund and Maria Blasucci. The concert, and a screening party, will take place on March 13 at Yahoo!’s SXSW venue. The show was co-created by Lund, Blasucci, and series director Jeremy Konner (Funny or Die) and is being co-produced by Black’s Electric Dynamite Productions and Shine America.
Tag: Tenacious D (1-2 of 2)
I’ve been to Coachella and Lollapalooza and a Ukrainian “punk rock” performance that was just Bon Jovi with more spitting, but the most incredible musical experience of my life was a concert I attended in high school. This was the golden era of the emo kid. The opener was Jimmy Eat World; the headliner was Weezer circa The Green Album. But there were three bands at the concert, and the third one — the midliner? — was a band that has often been called the Greatest Band in the World by members of the band. I’m speaking, of course, of Tenacious D, a.k.a. The D, a.k.a. Tenacious Motherf—ing D Motherf—er, the joke-rock duo composed of Jack Black and Kyle Gass. I say joke rock, but at the D’s millennial peak, when the popular music scene was composed of goony boy bands and even goonier rap-rock mediocrities, there was something remarkably pure about the D’s we-will-rock-you intentions. (EW’s own Ken Tucker gave their debut album an A.) READ FULL STORY
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' gig for Jenny Slate
- Tom Hiddleston wrote Thanks for Loki note
- Allison Williams as Peter Pan for NBC
- Directors push deal for Kodak movie film
- 'Blacklist' gig for Krysten Ritter
- 'Essential *NSYNC' is news to *NSYNC?
- Jim Gaffigan series to air on TV Land
- 'CSI' role for Mark Valley
- 'Once Upon a Time' casts Hans, Pabbie
- 'Star Wars': Marvel Comics reveals plans