Dwayne Johnson has been tapped to topline Journey 2: The Mystery Island with Josh Hutcherson (who returns as explorer Sean Anderson). According to The Hollywood Reporter, he’s closing a deal to play the boyfriend of Anderson’s mother who Anderson is forced to bring along on his search for his missing grandfather. (The script is inspired by Jules Verne’s The Mysterious Island.) Why this makes sense: Johnson broke out on the big screen opposite Fraser in The Mummy Returns, and he’s someone younger audiences have been groomed to like (Race to Witch Mountain, The Tooth Fairy, The Game Plan). If Johnson’s going to continue to play for that crowd, I’d rather he do it in something that involves a green screen rather than a tutu. More casting news is expected for the 3-D Journey 2, directed by Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore‘s Brad Peyton, this month. Cameras are expected to roll in late October. Are you psyched for the addition of Johnson, mourning the loss of Fraser, or struggling to remember what the first film was about?Some decisions in Hollywood do make sense: With Brendan Fraser reportedly dropping out of the sequel to the 2008 hit Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D due to scheduling conflicts,
Tag: Movie Casting (81-90 of 163)
that Avatar episode. Recurring Bones guest star Joel David Moore, who’s known to the masses for working alongside Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver in Avatar, has been added to the cast of Shark Night 3-D, which will be directed by Snakes on a Plane’s David Ellis and produced by The Bachelor‘s Mike Fleiss. Per The Hollywood Reporter, Moore will play “a socially awkward guy who fancies himself a young Brad Pitt” in the film, which centers on friends who spend a weekend at a Louisiana lake that becomes feeding grounds for sharks, thanks to greedy locals with an agenda. The script is penned by Jesse Studenberg and Will Hayes, the latter of whom’s credits include Best Week Ever with Paul F. Tompkins and Assy McGee, according to the IMDB. Moore is joined by The O.C.‘s Chris Carmack, Sinqua Walls (Friday Night Lights), and Alyssa Diaz (the upcoming remake of Red Dawn).No, we won’t ever let Bones live down
As someone who watches Jaws 3-D every time it’s on TV, I cannot pretend I’m above seeing this. If the Bones producers were smart, they’d take the piss out of themselves for last season’s Avatar ad, and work in a more clever nod to this film, even if 20th Century Fox isn’t the studio behind it. Suggestions? Perhaps a gruesome murder could occur in the top row of a poorly-attended midnight showing of Shark Night 3-D. The victim would have gone to see the film alone — what I will no doubt have to do — and that’s why he or she needs to be identified. I’ve been in a large movie theater before with only a couple of other people, and the thought did cross my mind that I was vulnerable. It’s dark and loud, you’re engrossed in the movie (especially if it’s 3-D), and you wouldn’t see someone approach you. Any other ideas?
Sam Worthington and Chris Pine possibly teaming up for the film This Means War. Real-life buddies Ryan Reynolds and Bradley Cooper are now attached to star in a Lethal Weapon-esque action comedy about two San Francisco detectives who need their retired-cop fathers to help them solve a case. According to The Hollywood Reporter’s Risky Business blog, the untitled comedy is written by Up in the Air Oscar nominee Sheldon Turner. So many thoughts running through my head right now:We need a new PopWatch category, This is from our dreams, and I’d file this after that post about
1. Will Psych‘s James Roday start accusing someone of stealing the father angle? (Apparently, this plot was first pitched five years ago with The Rock attached to star, so it’d be a tougher sell than The Mentalist rant.)
2. What are the odds that Reynolds and Cooper will have to pose as a gay couple at some point in the movie?
3. Why does Mel Gibson have to be Mel Gibson? I would have loved to have seen him and Kurt Russell play the dads. (Tequila Sunrise is right up there with Tango & Cash for me.)
4. Who should play the fathers? Russell as Cooper’s (it’s in the hair) and Kevin Costner as Reynolds’? Go a little more eccentric with Jeff Bridges and Bill Murray? A little more charming with Scott Bakula and Mark Harmon? Or is older funnier?
Ryan Reynolds kicks off Entertainment Weekly’s ‘Must List’ issue
Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds to reunite on new action comedy
Bradley Cooper signed to Disney baseball film, needs mentor
Hollywood Reporter. Tatum has been working closely with writer-director Jamie Linden (Dear John, We Are Marshall) on the project, which he will also be producing. They hope to begin shooting in November.Dear John star Channing Tatum is making plans for a high school reunion, just not his own. Tatum will star in Ten Year, an ensemble drama about friends reuniting 10 years after their graduation, according to the
No other actors have deals to appear in the film, but Linden’s script is being written with some specific people in mind. Tatum’s wife, Jenna Dewan, Anna Farris, Chris Pratt, Chris Pine, and Scott Porter have all made the short list.
Now I’m not sure how I feel about the storyline (do we really need another high school reunion movie?), but I do know that’s one good looking cast. Again, no one else has been officially confirmed, but let’s just say that if these deals go through, I won’t be able to handle all the gorgeousness on one screen. My favorite on the list has to be Chris Pratt, but maybe I’m still just heartbroken over the gone but not forgotten Everwood. (Come on. You know you love and miss Bright Abbott.)
What do you think, PopWatchers? Does this project pique your interest?
Justin Bieber was going to star in a 3-D movie was unbelievable, wait until you hear this: The teen dream is looking for fans to play a part in the film. The Biebster is asking devotees to upload a video of themselves singing along to “That Should be Me,” or show him how “U Smile” in a video or photo. (There are no details yet on how the footage or fans will be incorporated, but we’re seeing shades of Nickelback’s “Rockstar” video.)If you thought the news that
Full details can be found here. And fans should act quickly: Bieber will no longer accept submissions tomorrow, Aug. 26, at 5 p.m. After then, you can only hope that Bieber Fever is still in full force come Valentine’s Day when the movie is set to release — with or without you. So how would you capture Bieber’s attention?
Hollywood Reporter, the curiously-casted film is scheduled to shoot this October.Let me get through all this at once: Katie Holmes will play Adam Sandler’s wife in next year’s Jack and Jill, in which Sandler will play two characters: family man, Jack, and his twin sister, Jill. Oh, and Al Pacino will play Al Pacino. According to the
First off, I don’t think it’s a big deal that Pacino will be playing himself. It won’t be the first time! Ooo-aaahhh! And we’ve seen Sandler play a woman before, back in the days of Saturday Night Live. All in all, this is a strange trio, but probably no more bizarre than the cast of Anger Management (Sandler, Jack Nicholson, Marisa Tomei). Let’s just pray that Sandler doesn’t get his makeup tips from Galaxia.
“Snipes, Lawrence join ‘Havana Heat'” and needed to know more about the indie action film costarring Wesley Snipes and Joey Lawrence shooting this November, prepare to be very happy. Producer James Ordonez, president of Tayrona Entertainment Group, just gave EW some serious details about the movie and its efforts to be the next Expendables (yes, offers are out to Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme!).If, like us, you read the Variety headline
• We begin with the plot: “Havana is a mysterious, sensuous city with gorgeous architecture, white Caribbean beaches, hot, pulsating music, vintage American automobiles and some of the most beautiful women in the world. CID Special Agent Sean Franklin [Lawrence] and his partner, gung-ho rookie, NCIS Special Agent Brianna Evans [Fighting's Zulay Henao] are assigned undercover in Havana after another agent is murdered. At the same time, a heavyweight fight between American Ruben Palace and Cuba’s Kid Carlos becomes an international incident when a girl Ruben meets in a salsa club is found dead. Sean and Brenda team up with National Revolutionary Police Force Detective Jose Aguillerra to uncover the mystery behind both crimes.”
• Where does Snipes come in? “Snipes plays Major Evans, Sean Franklin’s boss and father of his assigned rookie partner…. Major Evans coordinates all the infiltration operation in Cuba and will engage once he finds out his best man and daughter are in danger,” Ordonez says. What made producers think to pair Lawrence and Snipes? “As a coincidence with The Expendables, Havana Heat was put together as a retro ’80s action all-star movie. We were looking for a very big teen 1990s idol who still is young and fresh to play the lead action role, and Joey Lawrence was the perfect candidate,” he says. “Wesley Snipes is one of the most recognized action stars of all times… so it was perfect to put them together.” READ FULL STORY
has been cast as Dr. Alex Cross in a reboot of the role that Morgan Freeman originated in Kiss the Girls and Along Came A Spider. Deadline reports that Elba will star in David Twohy’s adaptation of James Patterson’s novel Cross, the 12th book in the series, which follows the forensic psychologist as he tries to help nab a serial rapist and mutilator (Michael Sullivan, the Butcher of Sligo) who used to work for the mob and may have killed Cross’ pregnant wife years earlier. It makes sense: Earlier this year, Elba received raves for headlining the six-part BBC One psychological thriller Luther as a detective described as “brilliant and emotionally impulsive” who “might just be as dangerous as the depraved criminals he hunts.” (It premieres on BBC America Oct. 17.) The actor, whose other film credits include Obsessed, this month’s Takers, and next year’s Thor, has also shown his range on The Office and will appear in at least four episodes of Showtime’s The Big C as a love interest for Laura Linney’s cancer-stricken (and married) character.Idris Elba’s slow and steady rise might speed up with this news: The Wire actor
Was Elba your pick for the new Alex Cross? I’m happy: He can carry the weight, and bring some heat. Patterson fans, who do you see playing Michael Sullivan? (Having not read Cross, I’m wondering if Twohy’s A Perfect Getaway star Timothy Olyphant might be a fit: He deserved better than Live Free or Die Hard and Hitman.) And while I’m asking questions: Anyone else end up watching Kiss the Girls every time it’s on cable?
- 'Sons of Anarchy' wraps; see pics from set
- 'Colbert Report' to end Dec. 18
- Reality TV: A genre running out of steam?
- Jack Kirby credit added to Marvel Comics
- Bob Dylan to release covers album in 2015
- Paul Reubens says Pee-wee movie is on
- Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie series to AMC
- 'Arrested Development': A season 4 remix?
- Netflix: See what's new for November
- 'Game of Thrones' actors sign on for season 7