Idina Menzel’s starring vehicle If/Then will close on Broadway come March, about a year after opening. The production’s last performance will be March 22, at which point it will have played 29 previews and 401 performances. READ FULL STORY
Tag: If/Then (1-4 of 4)
Idina Menzel sure knows how to pick ‘em.
The wickedly talented star of Frozen just made Billboard history — again. The original Broadway cast recording of If/Then debuted at No. 19 on the Billboard charts, the highest debut for a Broadway cast recording since 1996 when a little show called Rent did the same thing.
Did we mention that Menzel starred in both? READ FULL STORY
There are no dreams deferred for the producers of the Denzel Washington-led revival of A Raisin in the Sun. In its first full week since its April 3 opening, director Kenny Leon’s well-reviewed revival earned a remarkable $1.18 million, according to figures from the Broadway League covering ticket sales for the week ending April 13. That makes it the fifth highest-grossing show of the week and the only non-musical to cross the seven-figure threshold. And thanks to premium ticket prices as high as $348, Raisin actually exceeded the estimated gross potential of the Ethel Barrymore Theatre by 16 percent. READ FULL STORY
It’s been eight long years since Idina Menzel hung up her broomstick and left the original New York production of Wicked, the musical that helped her win her first Tony — but next spring, one of Broadway’s most beloved belters is coming home.
Menzel is set to star as Elizabeth in If/Then, a new musical by composer Tom Kitt, lyricist/book writer Brian Yorkey, and director Michael Greif — the team behind the Tony and Pulitzer Prize-winning Next to Normal. (Greif also directed the original off-Broadway and Broadway productions of Rent, which featured Menzel as performance artist Maureen.) Here’s a vague synopsis of the new show:
- 'Birdman' wins Best Cast at SAG Awards
- 'Orange,' 'Downton' casts win SAG Awards
- Sam Smith's 'Stay With Me' = Tom Petty cash
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe 2015
- 'X-Men' TV series? Fox in early stage talks
- Kaya Scodelario + 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5'
- Rihanna's new song with Kanye, McCartney
- Gymnastic sex scene scores '10' at Sundance
- Netflix: See what's new for February
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2': No role for Ronan
- 'Hateful Eight' supporting cast revealed
- 'Fifty Shades': THAT scene won't be in film