Just because most people don’t do a Golden Globes pool doesn’t mean you can’t predict if Homeland will build on its Emmy domination. Let’s take the 11 TV categories to a vote. Remember, this is who you think will win, not necessarily who you want to win. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Damages (1-10 of 15)
When Damages debuted on FX in 2007, I was fully prepared to love it. I tuned in to the premiere to see what the buzz was all about, and the show impressed me immensely. Glenn Close and Rose Byrne were superb as dueling lawyers, the story was gripping, and the production was impressive. I thought I had found my new Lost, but my excitement proved to be short-lived. As the weeks went on, my enthusiasm for the legal thriller quickly waned, and I quit watching after about a month.
You see, Damages just got too dang complicated for basic cable! Everyone started spying on everyone else, and a dozen characters were dying and spilling secrets every episode, and though the dialogue and acting remained top-notch throughout, I had no idea what was going on. READ FULL STORY
Damages comes back tonight! Woohoo! The rich, suspenseful legal thriller is one of my favorites, and not just because Glenn Close kicks so much ass as queen bee (and bee-yotch) Patty Hewes. Also because Damages has the best, most against-type supporting cast. Ted Danson’s performance as bad guy Arthur Frobisher is one of my favorite TV surprises ever — I never expected Sam Malone to be such a perfectly nuanced villain. Darrell Hammond’s creepy assassin dude was another interesting departure, and William Hurt’s slippery scientist had me guessing all season long. This time we’re in for some more A-listers, but I’m particularly jazzed for the comedic-turned-dramatic stars Lily Tomlin and Martin Short.
My one concern is the central case of the season: It’s about a Louis Tobin (Len Cariou), a Bernie Madoff-esque greedy financier. If any show can make me interested in finance, it’s Damages, but it’s an uphill battle. I can’t be the only one who’s Madoff-ed out, am I?
Still, some hesitation about the case can’t dull my enthusiasm for the show. Other than Patty and Ellen, who do you love on Damages, PopWatchers?
Good news, drama fans: Damages will be back Jan. 25! And not a moment too soon, especially given this season’s new cast members: Campbell Scott, Martin Short, Lily Tomlin, Keith Carradine, and Len Cariou. Just a guess, but there’s some kind of conspiracy at work here…and some people’s motives aren’t what they seem!
Last season of Damages didn’t quite stand up to the first season, but it was still one hell of a ride, particularly thanks to Glenn Close’s performance. What I love about her Patty Hewes (and the show) is that she’s not a conventional bitchy boss from the Amanda Woodward/Miranda Priestly school of stock characters — she’s way scarier because she’s not a typical ice queen. What kind of villain wears pastel twinsets? The interesting kind.
What’s your Damage, PopWatchers? Are you ready for round three at Hewes and Associates? And what story arcs would you like to see play out for its central characters?
What are the best TV shows for women? That’s the question we posed to Brooke Elliott and Margaret Cho, stars of Lifetime’s addictive new summer hit Drop Dead Diva (Sundays, 9 p.m. ET), for the latest installment of the PopWatch Duel. They’ve made their lists. Now you decide whose is better by casting a vote in the poll. (Then they’ll try to tell themselves that they don’t care who wins. But come on, just look at those faces. They care!)
- 'American Horror Story' recap: 'The Sacred Taking'
- 'Arrow' react: 'The Scientist'
- 'Sherlock' season 3: 10 new photos
- 'Doctor Who' Xmas special: Pics and clips
- Paul Walker tribute from 'Fast & Furious'
- Danny Wells, Luigi of 'Mario Bros.,' dies
- Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman: Let's think this through
- 'Veronica Mars' out 3/14/14 -- and we have a clip!
- Lady Gaga Muppet special a ratings turkey 1427
- Gunfight at the Not Okay Corral 687
- 'The Walking Dead' midseason finale: 'Too Far Gone' spoilers 443
- ‘Fast and Furious’ actor Paul Walker dead after car crash 395
- '12 Years a Slave': The emotional reactions that make director Steve McQueen thankful -- Q&A 369
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' casts Marcia Gay Harden as Christian Grey's mother
- 'Veronica Mars' movie gets a release date; plus, watch a clip! -- EXCLUSIVE
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: 13 thoughts on the bombshell-casting bombshell
- Gal Gadot to star as Wonder Woman in 'Batman Vs. Superman'
- 'American Horror Story': Watch Cordelia and the 'Coven' plot Fiona's murder -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO