The CW’s new meta-mystery Cult brings us into a world that most visitors to this website happen to know pretty well: The realm of overly obsessive pop culture fandom. It’s a sometimes fun, sometimes scary, always interesting shadowland where enthusiasm for fantasy takes the most peculiar forms: Ardent ‘shipping, colorful cosplay, mad theorizing by know-it-all bloggers who give themselves fake PhDs and are rarely correct about anything. (Such hacks! Such frauds!) Created by Farscape’s Rockne S. O’Bannon, a scribe with genre smarts who clearly knows much about the benefits and beautiful weirdness of fandom, Cult imagines a culture where a show called “Cult” airs on The CW and seems to be having a seriously adverse if not deadly affect on its most ardent viewers. (Like we said: Meta.) READ FULL STORY
Tag: Cult (1-1 of 1)
- Aaron Paul vs. Toys 'R' Us over action figures
- 'Project Runway': And the winner is...
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer: 5 takeaways
- 'Game of Thrones': 7 rumors debunked
- Kiera Cass' 'The Heir': See the book cover
- AMC to acquire 49.9 percent of BBC America
- CMT doubles up on 'Party Down South'
- Christian Bale as Steve Jobs, says Sorkin
- Will Smith brings 'Hitch' comedy series to Fox
- Edward Norton reflects on not being the Hulk