Sandra Oh announced that she is hanging up her scrubs following the upcoming tenth season of Grey’s Anatomy. How should Grey’s creator Shonda Rhimes handle Cristina Yang’s departure? We have a few suggestions.
1. Permanent maternity leave: Even though Cristina is hell-bent against having kids — it is what ultimately doomed her relationship with Hunt (Kevin McKidd) — maybe she’ll have a change of heart and opt-out to raise a few babies?
2. Reuniting with Burke: It seems unlikely, but could Yang seek out her former flame (Isaiah Washington) and live happily every after with him? (Honestly, we hope not.)
3. A fatal helicopter accident: Cristina survived a bomb, a gunman, and a plane crash. Perhaps a helicopter will finally finish her off? Helicopters are among the leading cause of death for TV doctors.
4. Following Mr. Feeny’s advice: When Cristina briefly worked at the Mayo Clinic, she found herself a mentor in Dr. Craig Thomas, played by Boy Meets World sage William Daniels. Before he died, he gave Yang an eloquent speech about fulfilling her destiny: “Mediocre surgeons will see you and feel themselves wilting in your shadow. Do not shrink to console them. Do not look for friends here. You won’t find them. None of these people have the capacity to understand you. They never will. If you’re lucky, one day, when you’re old and shriveled like me, you’ll find a young doctor with little regard for anything but their craft, and you’ll train them like I trained you. Until then, read a good book. You have greatness in you, Yang. Don’t disappoint.” Perhaps Cristina, feeling stifled by her relationships with the Seattle Grace crew, leaves to focus on medicine, and never looks back.
5. Her own spin-off: Okay, we can dream, right? Besides, they did it for Addison (Kate Walsh), and Cristina is way cooler.