Today is Bernadette Peters’ birthday. Peters has taught theater geeks everywhere to embrace both their comic and dramatic sides, to sing their hearts out, and to wear their curly hair as big as they want to. Even if you only know her as Sophie in Anastasia, you know she’s got a voice. Here are five reasons we’ll always love the Broadway darling:
1. She can still make us cry singing “Rose’s Turn.”
When Peters performed a short version of “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” on Smash it was wonderful, but when she performed as Mama Rose in Sam Mendes’ Gypsy, she got nominated for a Tony Award.
2. She embraced her inner rap star in Into The Woods and nailed it and then still made us feel for her character by the end of the musical.
3. She knows Mandy Patinkin’s true self.
Look, we all known Mandy Patinkin is wonderful on Homeland, but that’s why it tickles our hearts all the more to see him since this song with Peters. The two co-starred in Sunday in the Park with George long before Saul was nurturing Carrie.
4. She makes you feel bad for ever attempting to audition for a show with “Being Alive.”
5. That hair is literally perfect!
I mean, look at that hair!