Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth star as Gomez and Morticia in The Addams Family, a new musical about the famously creepy family (now in Chicago until Jan. 10, then opening on Broadway April 8.) To develop his own take on the character of Gomez (famously played by Raul Julia in the 90s movies and John Astin in the 60s TV show), Lane dissected clues provided by the show’s script, which is based on the original New Yorker cartoons penned by Charles Addams. “[Gomez] obviously has family money, and he doesn’t have to work. So he has time for things like the tango and sword fighting. He’s around the house 24 hours a day, so he has time for everyone and their problems,” says the actor. “He’s sort of the very kinky version of Ozzie Nelson.”
First Look: 'The Addams Family' on stage
- 'Colbert Report' to end Dec. 18
- Jack Kirby credit added to Marvel Comics
- Bob Dylan to release covers album in 2015
- 'Mockingjay': 2014's top movie presale tix
- Paul Reubens says Pee-wee movie is on
- Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie series to AMC
- 'Arrested Development': A season 4 remix?
- Netflix: See what's new for November
- 'Game of Thrones' actors sign on for season 7
- Lily Rabe's 'AHS: Asylum' nun in 'Freak Show'