It’s not always the Freddies or Jasons of the world that give me the shivers. Sometimes it’s the most banal, inconsequential movies that send me scurrying under the covers. When I was a kid, that flick was The Hugga Bunch movie. Yes, a film about plushy dolls with a penchant for embracing haunted my nightmares. Check it out here, and tell me it isn’t creepy:
But I’m not the only one with irrational movie fears. Here’s a selection from the EW.com staff:
- Jean Bentley’s inexplicable fear of space makes Wall-E (specifically the scene where they’re playing outside the spaceship), a creepy cartoon affair.
- It’s not a movie, but Marc Vera still gets goosebumps watching the HBO theme, which terrified him as a tyke.
- Jami Lundborg finds FernGully frightening.
- Christmas is scarier than Halloween for Jamie Levinson, who wigs out when Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer pops up on TV.
- Perhaps echoing many a ’70s kids’ fears, Gary Susman ranks the original Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory right up there.
- While Mark Luckie never wants to see shrinking kids again.
It’s your turn PopWatchers. Get it off your chests: Which movie inexplicably gives you the heebeegeebees?