The oddly monikered director McG, who brought us such kinetic movies as Charlie’s Angels and We Are Marshall, has taken an unlikely new directing task: crafting four short trailers to promote a new book. That’s right. A book. In fact, it’s a Hollywood satire called Celebutantes by Amanda Goldberg (daughter of film producer Leonard Goldberg) and Ruthanna Khaligi Hopper (daughter of Easy Rider Dennis Hopper). The clips dramatize various scenes from the novel and star Autumn Reeser (The O.C.) as Lola Santisi, the daughter of a famed director who agrees to help her gay designer friend by persuading a famous actress to wear one of his gowns to the Oscars; other somewhat familiar performers in the shorts include Mike Vogel (Cloverfield) and Wilson Cruz (Rent). I gotta say that the first clip is actually pretty entertaining. And certainly more polished than the usual video book promos (think of all those awful TV commercials with James Patterson woodenly touting his new title). But would a catchy clip make you want to read a book… or would you just wait for the inevitable movie/TV series based on said book?
McG's latest project: Promoting a book called 'Celebutantes'?!
- Beyonce surprise: 'Visual Album' now on iTunes
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: 'Get Up, Stand Up'
- 'Scandal' recap: 'A Door Marked Exit'
- Tina + Amy: Darth Vader has two mommies?
- 'Vampire Diaries' recap: 'Fifty Shades of Grayson'
- Golden Globes: 16 snubs that bugged YOU
- Golden Globes TV noms: Nice surprises, nasty snubs
- 'Descendants': Disney villains as parents of teens?
Top 5 Most Read
- Disney Channel plans original movie 'Descendants,' featuring teenage kids of classic villains
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: Stand Up and Take It
- 'Scandal' recap: 'The Devil Came In'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' season finale post-mortem: Burning questions answered
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler reveal 'Star Wars VII' roles; J.J. Abrams responds