A word of warning: You could probably get yourself fired checking out The Torontoist Cover Song Catalogue — and it would almost be worth it. I wasted a good chunk of the morning just grooving to the first five tracks alone, the ones Torontoist lumps under the heading "Better Than the Original." And while I respectfully dispute that anyone can trump Paula Abdul’s version of "Straight Up," I’ve got to say Dave Werner’s acoustic version certainly has its own merits (especially when he drops a little "Opposites Attract" at the end). Also not to be missed: Everything But the Girl’s "Downtown Train," Max Raabe’s "Oops…I Did It Again," and Esthero’s "Windmills of Your Mind." But don’t take my word for it, check out these covers for yourself and share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Songs covered -- and rediscovered
- 'The Voice': Top 3 are...
- 'Voice': How about a Judges' Veto?
- 'Agents of SHIELD' react: 'The Bridge'
- 'Victoria's Secret': 12 years of 'Fantasy Bras'
- Golden Globe noms: TV wild cards we'd love to see
- Golden Globes: We predict the movie nominees
- 'Burying the Ex': First Look at 'zom-com'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' season 6: Who killed, who died