A word of warning: You could probably get yourself fired checking out The Torontoist Cover Song Catalogue — and it would almost be worth it. I wasted a good chunk of the morning just grooving to the first five tracks alone, the ones Torontoist lumps under the heading "Better Than the Original." And while I respectfully dispute that anyone can trump Paula Abdul’s version of "Straight Up," I’ve got to say Dave Werner’s acoustic version certainly has its own merits (especially when he drops a little "Opposites Attract" at the end). Also not to be missed: Everything But the Girl’s "Downtown Train," Max Raabe’s "Oops…I Did It Again," and Esthero’s "Windmills of Your Mind." But don’t take my word for it, check out these covers for yourself and share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Songs covered -- and rediscovered
- Sony hires real-life inspiration for Olivia Pope
- Sony CEO: We've 'not caved, not given in'
- FBI officially ties North Korea to Sony hack
- Obama: 'A mistake' to pull 'The Interview'
- 'Colbert Report' has immortal, all-star finale
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- 'Once Upon a Time' casts Ernie Hudson as...
- 'White Collar' series finale: How it ended
- David Schwimmer cast as Robert Kardashian
- Kate Upton is People 'Sexiest Woman Alive'
- 31 Days of Holiday Binge: December picks