A word of warning: You could probably get yourself fired checking out The Torontoist Cover Song Catalogue — and it would almost be worth it. I wasted a good chunk of the morning just grooving to the first five tracks alone, the ones Torontoist lumps under the heading "Better Than the Original." And while I respectfully dispute that anyone can trump Paula Abdul’s version of "Straight Up," I’ve got to say Dave Werner’s acoustic version certainly has its own merits (especially when he drops a little "Opposites Attract" at the end). Also not to be missed: Everything But the Girl’s "Downtown Train," Max Raabe’s "Oops…I Did It Again," and Esthero’s "Windmills of Your Mind." But don’t take my word for it, check out these covers for yourself and share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Songs covered -- and rediscovered
- Tracy Morgan responds to Walmart filing
- Harry Potter fan sets Guinness World Record
- Yvette Nicole Brown exits 'Community'
- 'NCIS: New Orleans' react: 'Carrier'
- David Fincher to direct HBO series 'Utopia'
- NBC, CBS win premiere week as Fox slips
- 'Rush Hour' TV series in the works
- Benjamin Walker in Nicholas Sparks' 'Choice'
- 'We Are Not Ourselves' film rights sold
- Dominic Cooper joins 'Agent Carter' cast