Thanks to linguists Tom and Katie, we all now know that ”Suri” supposedly means ”princess” in Hebrew and ”red rose” in Persian. (Alas, my Hebrew-to-English and Farsi-to-English dictionaries are in the shop, so I haven’t confirmed those translations.) Now, thanks to the U.K.’s Times Online, we also know that it means ”pickpocket” in Japanese. And of course, in every language, it means ”publicity blitz.” Anyway, I applaud the new parents for their cleverness in picking a name so versatile that, no matter where the little girl travels, she’ll be snickered at behind her back.
Yes, Suri, that's my baby
- Oscar de la Renta, designer, dies at 82
- Disney sets 'Moana' as '16 animated feature
- 'Fraggle Rock' actor Gerard Parkes dies at 90
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack on tape
- 'Glee' team's horror comedy a go at Fox
- 'Mulaney' order cut to 13 episodes
- Bethenny Frankel back on 'Real Housewives'
- 'Simpsons World' app to launch Oct. 21
- 'Sleepy Hollow' casts Max Brown as...?
- 'Arrow' casts Vinnie Jones as villain Brick