Thanks to linguists Tom and Katie, we all now know that ”Suri” supposedly means ”princess” in Hebrew and ”red rose” in Persian. (Alas, my Hebrew-to-English and Farsi-to-English dictionaries are in the shop, so I haven’t confirmed those translations.) Now, thanks to the U.K.’s Times Online, we also know that it means ”pickpocket” in Japanese. And of course, in every language, it means ”publicity blitz.” Anyway, I applaud the new parents for their cleverness in picking a name so versatile that, no matter where the little girl travels, she’ll be snickered at behind her back.
Yes, Suri, that's my baby
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Xmas release
- 'Interview': No DVD, VOD plans at Sony
- 'Interview' derailed: Celebs tweet reactions
- Steve Carell's North Korea-set movie off
- 'Orphan Black' sets return date, debuts teaser
- Amy Brenneman returning to 'Reign'
- Manu Bennett joins cast of MTV's 'Shannara'
- 'Star Wars VII': 10 things Andy Serkis can say
- 'Mythbusters' to put 'Simpsons' to the test
- 'Annie' movie review: An autotune disaster
- 31 Days of Holiday Binge: December picks