Thanks to linguists Tom and Katie, we all now know that ”Suri” supposedly means ”princess” in Hebrew and ”red rose” in Persian. (Alas, my Hebrew-to-English and Farsi-to-English dictionaries are in the shop, so I haven’t confirmed those translations.) Now, thanks to the U.K.’s Times Online, we also know that it means ”pickpocket” in Japanese. And of course, in every language, it means ”publicity blitz.” Anyway, I applaud the new parents for their cleverness in picking a name so versatile that, no matter where the little girl travels, she’ll be snickered at behind her back.
Apr 19 2006 03:31 PM ET
Yes, Suri, that's my baby
- CBS takes 2012-13 ratings crown from Fox
- 'Voice' adds tornado victims tribute
- 'Voice' recap at 8 ET to be bumped by news
- 'DWTS' poll: Who deserves to win?
- 'Mortal Instruments' film now due Aug. 21
- 'Behind the Candelabra': Cannes review
- 'X Factor': Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio in
- 'Wolverine' trailer: Logan broods, fights