Katie Holmes joined the social networking site, and — in one advantage of signing up in 2013 — seems to be getting the hang of things pretty quickly. The actress is currently in South Africa shooting The Giver (she’ll play Jonas’s mother), and her first message out to the universe is a black-and-white cast photo, below. READ FULL STORY
Tag: The Giver (1-2 of 2)
On some level, big screen adaptations of beloved novels are always doomed. Hew too closely to the source material, and they’re accused of slavish fan service; diverge too much from the original story, and they risk inciting mobs of obsessives who demand to see S.P.E.W. in all its glory. A successful adaptation must show respect for its root without attempting to translate it literally — something that would be impossible to do anyway, since every reader will necessarily imagine that book’s characters and settings differently.
That, of course, is why book fans often react with violent negativity after an actor is cast in an upcoming adaptation — regardless of who they are and what the role is. And because YA behemoths tend to have younger, more devoted followings than any other genre, the reactions of those followings tend to be particularly hostile.
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands
- 'Amazing Race' recap: And the winners are...
- 'Homeland' recap: 'Big Man in Tehran'
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: 'The New Neverland'
- 'SNL' recap: 'Anchorman 2' and the boys
- 'Frozen' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $31.6M
- 'Gravity,' 'Her' share L.A. Critics' top prize
- '12 Years a Slave': Best Pic for Boston, N.Y. critics
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Amazing Race' recap: The Final Frontier
- 'Homeland' recap: Loose Cannons
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: Pain and Pan-ic
- Los Angeles Film Critics Awards: 'Gravity' ties with 'Her' for Best Picture, James Franco ties with Jared Leto
- 'SNL' recap: Paul Rudd brings a parade of surprise guest stars -- VIDEO