Good storytelling means characters aren’t always what they first appear to be. But when the stakes are as high as they are on a supernatural show like True Blood, misjudgments can be deadly. Perhaps that’s why I can’t decide how I feel about Warlow, the big bad turned sensitive stud played by Pacific Rim‘s Rob Kazinsky. Or rather, why I feel guilty admitting I like him as much as I do. Let’s break it down. Spoiler alert, if you haven’t seen this week’s episode: READ FULL STORY
Tag: Rob Kazinsky (1-2 of 2)
There isn’t much entertainment out there for ladies of the geek persuasion — or to be more accurate, geek ladies and geek gentlemen attracted to other gentlemen. Well, at least there isn’t much marketed directly to us. But we all know the dirty little secret of being a geek lady in a predominately geek man’s world — there are a lot of hot guys in sci-fi movies. Pacific Rim, which opened yesterday, is no exception. SOME SPOILERS AHEAD!
Pacific Rim is in no way a perfect movie. It’s plagued with corny dialogue, underdeveloped characters, and a predictable, anticlimactic ending. And like most sci-fi movies, it doesn’t pass the Bechdel test. The Bechdel test, named after cartoonist Alison Bechdel, requires a movie to include at least two named female characters who talk to each other about something besides a man. There are two named women in Pacific Rim — Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) and Lt. Sasha Kaidanovsky (Heather Doerksen). However, Doerksen has a small role, says a few lines (most of which are directed toward her husband and copilot), and dies in the middle of the movie. Kikuchi’s Mako is a central character with a dynamic story arc though she’s less active than her male counterparts. Unlike many ladies in sci-fi, she is not objectified or criticized solely on the basis of her gender — a conscious decision made by director Guillermo del Toro. READ FULL STORY
- Tina + Amy: Darth Vader has two mommies?
- Golden Globes: 16 snubs that bugged YOU
- 'Grey's Anatomy': A preview from Sarah Drew
- Golden Globes: 'Comedy' category becoming a joke
- Jeff Probst on 'Survivor' two-season renewal
- 'Survivor' exit Q&A: Katie's rocky road
- Golden Globes noms: Who's up/down for Oscars?
- Golden Globes TV noms: Nice surprises, nasty snubs
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Sons of Anarchy' season finale post-mortem: Burning questions answered
- Beastie Boys sue GoldieBlox for copyright infringement over 'Girls' video
- '12 Years a Slave' and 'American Hustle' lead Golden Globe nominees
- Golden Globes nominations shocking TV snubs
- 'Survivor' recap: Drawing a Line in the Sand