This coming week brings the 200th birthday of The Star-Spangled Banner. It is, in addition to being notoriously hard to sing, the National Anthem of the United States of America. While the song is used for many different occasions—baseball games and elections and fireworks and War of 1812-themed frat parties—most of the time what happens during its performances is pretty consistent. Those who are sitting stand, those who wear hats remove them, and everyone sort of uncomfortably half sings along while looking for the nearest American flag. It’s that universal ritual that makes unusual uses of The Star-Spangled Banner all the more memorable. Like these, for instance:
Tag: National Anthem (1-2 of 2)
Celebrities are getting patriotic this Memorial Day weekend.
LeAnn Rimes appeared at the Indianapolis 500 on Saturday to kick off the storied race with her rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” She nailed it (the jet flyover didn’t hurt). Check out the clip below:
Meanwhile, NHL national anthem singers are often of the bow tie-wearing, classically trained variety. For the Los Angeles’ Kings first home game in the 2014 Western Conference Final on Saturday night, traditional wasn’t going to cut it.
For their game 3 contest against reigning Stanley Cup champs the Chicago Blackhawks, the Kings enlisted none other than Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash to shred his way through “The Star-Spangled Banner.” (Usual anthem singer, American Idol alum Pia Toscano, was attending a wedding and unable to perform.) It wasn’t Jimi Hendrix levels of awesome, but it certainly amped up the Staples Center crowd, which cheered their team on to a 4-3 victory over the ‘Hawks. The Kings now lead the series 2-1. The full clip is below:
Saturday night’s win makes the Kings 2-0 when Slash performs the game-opener in L.A. Think they’ll ask him to return?
- Sony hires real-life inspiration for Olivia Pope
- Madonna releases six tracks from 2015 album
- 'Amazing Race' season 25 winners are...
- Sony CEO: We've 'not caved, not given in'
- FBI officially ties North Korea to Sony hack
- Obama: 'A mistake' to pull 'The Interview'
- 'Colbert Report' has immortal, all-star finale
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- 'White Collar' series finale: How it ended
- Kate Upton is People 'Sexiest Woman Alive'
- 31 Days of Holiday Binge: December picks