PopWatch Entertainment Weekly's PopWatch Blog

Tag: James Franco (11-20 of 121)

After James Franco's 'Spring Breakers 2' slam, producers fire back

James Franco talks a lot about artistic integrity and vision. But there are at least a few people who are publicly calling BS on the actor: The producers he slammed for making a sequel to Spring Breakers without his consent.

Let’s rewind: Earlier this month, production company Wild Bunch announced it was working with Muse Productions, which was behind the first film, on Spring Breakers: The Second Coming. “It’s not a direct sequel, although there are allusions to some of the characters in the original,” said Wild Bunch co-chief Vincent Maraval. The follow-up, written by Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting) and set to be directed by Jonas Akerlund (Spun, Small Apartments), will chronicle a new group of partyers battling an extreme militant Christian sect attempting to convert them.

On Wednesday, Franco — who starred as wannabe thug Alien in the first film – slammed the idea of a sequel on Instagram, saying it was being done without the blessing of him or Spring Breakers writer/director Harmony Korine. READ FULL STORY

James Franco slams 'Spring Breakers 2': 'It will be a terrible film'

After posting a nearly nude selfie and trying to pick up a young fan, James Franco has taken to his Instagram account once again to make a statement.

But this time it’s an actual written statement regarding the sequel to Franco’s film Spring Breakers. Clearly, James doesn’t think the film should be made at all, saying it is being done without his or director Harmony Korine’s consent. Spring Breakers: The Second Coming will follow a new group of partyers battling an extreme militant Christian sect attempting to convert them. In a statement, production company Wild Bunch said that the film is “…not a direct sequel, although there are allusions to some of the characters in the original.”

Read Franco’s full Instagram statement below: READ FULL STORY

James Franco explains nude selfies to Letterman: 'If you don't want to see it, don't follow me'

And now for another installment of Being James Franco.

While on Letterman Thursday night, Dave naturally asked him about all the weird stuff — like nude Seth Rogen paintings — Franco’s been posting Instagram. After pulling up Franco’s own infamous nude-ish selfie, Letterman spoke for us all, asking, “Honest to God, why?”

Franco had an interesting response: “Instagram isn’t something I put a lot of thought into,” he began. (Duh.) He then explained he’s doing it all for his fans: “I didn’t ask you to look at it! It’s what the people want! If you don’t want to see it, don’t follow me.”

If only it were that simple. READ FULL STORY

James Franco posts almost-nude selfie on Instagram, deletes it

Today in James Franco news: The actor posted a suggestive selfie on his Instagram… and then quickly deleted it.

Franco’s no stranger to selfies — if you follow him on Twitter or Instagram, you know that he posts a variation of him lounging around in bed shirtless basically every day. But this one had the added element of his boxer briefs pulled down slightly so he could rest his hand on his, uh, Green Goblin.

READ FULL STORY

Seth Rogen talks about his wedding invitation from Kanye West on 'Ellen' -- VIDEO

Like everyone who saw the premiere of Kanye West’s “Bound 2″ music video on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Seth Rogen was in awe. Unlike the rest of us, the very next morning he took that inspiration and began filming a shot-for-shot parody of the video with pal James Franco.

The spoof was a viral hit. We all had a good laugh — even West, much to the surprise of everyone (Jimmy Kimmel in particular). And then West invited Rogen and Franco to his upcoming wedding to Kim Kardashian.

It was a strange chain of events, to say the least. So naturally, Rogen talked about how it all went down when he stopped by Ellen to promote his new movie, Neighbors, on Wednesday.

Rogen says that once he and Franco realized the best way to parody “Bound 2″ was to re-create it shot-for-shot, they “became obsessed with getting it, like, perfect…even the lighting. I would try to nuzzle the same way [Kim] nuzzled….I got razor burn from Franco.” READ FULL STORY

James Franco didn't have sex with Lindsay Lohan, says James Franco

And now for a story in which there are no winners.

When James Franco went on Howard Stern’s radio show Wednesday, Stern asked him whether he ever had sex with Lindsay Lohan. (After all, Franco’s name did appear on Lohan’s alleged “sex list.”) First of all: Gross. To everything about this. But! According to Franco, who sounded pretty upset to even discuss this, the two made out but never actually slept together.

Did the conversation end there? It most certainly did not. “I don’t know what to say,” Franco said. “We were at this hotel during a very dark period of her history. It seemed pretty damn clear that she liked me. …I’d come home late to the hotel and she’d come find me. I knew which room she was in and I’d see through the window like, ‘Oh there’s another party over at Lindsay’s,’ …and she would come out to the pool area and find me. It’s in the poem: she even broke into my room one time because she was so at home there, I guess they just gave her the key. And so 3 in the morning, I was sleeping on the couch, and I open my eyes, and there’s Lindsay in my room at 3 am. And it’s like, okay, what do I do now. [laughs]…I tell about this in the poem. It sounds so nerdy…. I read her a story….I will swear on my mother’s life I didn’t have sex with her.” READ FULL STORY

'Gentleman's Guide', Neil Patrick Harris' 'Hedwig' lead nominations for the 2014 Tony Awards

Fully realizing its underdog appeal, the cheeky musical A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder slayed the competition this morning with a whopping 10 Tony nominations, including nods for both of its tireless leading men, Jefferson Mays and Bryce Pinkham. Neil Patrick Harris’ return to Broadway after a decade yielded him his first-ever Tony nomination for the celebrated revival of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, which netted an impressive eight nods. (Had it been eligible as a new musical, Hedwig probably would have easily tied Guide, as score and book would have been slam dunks). Trailing these shows with seven nominations each were the spicy jazz revue After Midnight, the Carole King biomusical Beautiful, John Tiffany’s critic-adored revival of The Glass Menagerie (in which all cast members except for Zachary Quinto got nods), and the Mark Rylance-led, period specific staging of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night (EW’s pick for best production of 2013).

It was, however, not a great morning to be a movie star trying out Broadway for the first time or returning to it. Snub-ees this year in addition to the aforementioned Quinto included the ranks of James Franco, Denzel Washington, Michelle Williams, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Daniel Radcliffe, Michael C. Hall, Toni Collette, Marisa Tomei, Rebecca Hall and Zach Braff. The Tony Awards will be broadcast live on CBS on June 8 at 8pm.

Nominations for the 2014 Tony Awards follow:

READ FULL STORY

James Franco sued for violating film rights with Bukowski movie

Who owns the rights to an autobiography?

That seems to be the question in the center of a lawsuit against James Franco and production company Rabbit Bandini, accusing them of violating film rights for Franco’s upcoming film Bukowski, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Cyril Humphris is accusing Franco of infringing on Charles Bukowski’s semi-autobiographical novel Ham on Rye, which Humphris claims he owns the film rights to. Franco has asserted in the past that the film is based on Bukowski’s childhood and not the novel, despite the similarities. The lawsuit states Franco’s film “borrows the novel’s themes of childhood loneliness; adolescent self-consciousness; the failures, hypocrisy, and cruelty of adults; and, in an unflinching depiction, the crude interest teenage boys take in sex.” It also claims that entire scenes and pieces of dialogue had been taken from the book. READ FULL STORY

James Franco and other celebs who just can't stand criticism

James Franco does not take criticism of his work lightly. Currently starring in Of Mice and Men on Broadway, the actor was quite displeased with the review New York Times theater critic Ben Brantley gave the revival. Though Brantley’s assessment was not excessively negative — he even complimented Franco’s talent at one point — the actor posted an incensed response to the review on Instagram, calling the critic “a little bitch.” The post has since been deleted.

Brantley responded to the criticism much more diplomatically than Franco. “I like Franco’s work on film a lot, and he didn’t disgrace himself on stage,” the writer told the New York Observer. “I hope he returns to Broadway some day. And of course he’s entitled to say whatever he likes about me, as long as it’s not libelous, and somehow I don’t think ‘little bitch’ qualifies.”

Franco is hardly the first celebrity to lash out over hurt feelings and bad reviews. Last year, Brantley was the target of another famous actor appearing on Broadway, Alec Baldwin. The NYT critic panned his show, a revival of Orphans, and Baldwin shot back with a bitter essay on the state of modern theater on The Huffington Post. READ FULL STORY

James Franco rants about 'New York Times' review on Instagram

When the New York Times didn’t give James Franco the glowing Of Mice and Men review he wanted, the actor took to his favorite hangout, Instagram, to express his displeasure.

The show opened Wednesday night on Broadway, with Franco starring as George opposite Chris O’Dowd’s Lennie. It seems Franco spent this morning reading over reviews — including Times theater critic Ben Brantley’s evaluation. Although Brantley didn’t outright insult Franco, or even write anything overwhelmingly negative — in fact, he complimented Franco’s talent, but noted that the star is “often understated to the point of near invisibility” in the play — Franco still wasn’t pleased.

READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos

Advertisement

From Our Partners

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP