Horse-drawn carriages have been a constant in Central Park for years, but recently a movement has begun against them for the sake of the horses’ health and safety. New York City mayor Bill de Blasio promised to close the industry in his campaign, and remains committed to the issue. And Neeson isn’t happy about it.
Tag: Horses (1-3 of 3)
Your Kentucky Derby pop culture party planner: Because you need something else to do besides watch horses run for two minutes
Old sports writers (mainly Pardon the Interruption host and professional crank Tony Kornheiser) like to remind anybody listening that for most of the pre-World War II era, the biggest sports in America were baseball, boxing, and horse racing.
If you really want to get your 1930s on this weekend, you’ll have that chance: The baseball season is in full swing (LET’S GO METS!), there’s a huge title fight in the boxing world between Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto, and on Saturday evening, the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby begins.
The Kentucky Derby is an excellent excuse for a party, as there are already thematic costumes (silly hats and Colonel Sanders suits) and cocktails (the legendarily undrinkable Mint Julep) already built in. There’s just one problem with throwing a party surrounding the Derby: The race lasts a couple hundred seconds, at most. What else are you to do before you watch the horsies run really fast?
Glad you asked, because we’re happy to provide a full compliment of viewing options leading up to the most exciting two minutes in sports, including a handful of movie and TV options, plus a Derby-related playlist. READ FULL STORY
- 'New Girl' returns sexier, but loses viewers
- National Book Awards nonfiction longlist
- Tom Hiddleston to star in 'Skull Island'
- 'Big Brother': Evicted houseguest is...
- 'DWTS': First eliminated dancer is...
- 'Project Runway All Stars' designers are...
- 'View' premiere: Best ratings in 8 years
- 'MasterChef' season 5 winner is...
- 'Arrow': Nick Tarabay as Captain Boomerang
- Skyler Samuels joins 'AHS: Freak Show' cast