It was one busy week on the New York stage, with three Broadway openings and one rare day-after-premiere closing: No sooner did the producers of the starry porn-world comedy The Performers study the show’s mixed reviews than they decided to call it quits. (Guess they thought they’d lost their money shot.) Over at the Encores! series at New York City Center, Glee star Amber Riley jazzed up the Broadway-ready revue Cotton Club Parade. And Off Broadway saw at least a half dozen major new productions featuring stars like Ethan Hawke, Sigourney Weaver, David Hyde Pierce, and Boardwalk Empire‘s Gretchen Mol. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Henry Winkler (1-2 of 2)
Another opening, another close: Broadway's 'The Performers' announces final curtain one day after premiere
It turns out that the new Broadway comedy The Performers – a send-up of the porn world starring Alicia Silverstone, Henry Winkler, and Cheyenne Jackson (pictured above, right, with Daniel Breaker) — doesn’t have much stamina. One day after its opening night, the comedy’s producers announced plans to close it this Sunday after just seven official performances.
The show garnered mostly mixed reviews from critics, though EW’s Tanner Stransky gave the show an A– and praised “David West Read’s laugh-a-minute script” and costar Ari Graynor’s turn as a “ditzy scene-stealer.” The Performers becomes the quickest casualty of the new Broadway season.
Follow Thom on Twitter: @ThomGeier
‘Glee’ star Amber Riley jazzes up Off Broadway musical ‘Cotton Club Parade’
First look at the poster for Broadway’s ‘Picnic’ with Maggie Grace and Sebastian Stan
Broadway box office: Jessica Chastain and ‘Downton’ star Dan Stevens lure fans to ‘The Heiress’
EW’s Stage Hub
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands
- 'Amazing Race' recap: And the winners are...
- 'Homeland' recap: 'Big Man in Tehran'
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: 'The New Neverland'
- 'SNL' recap: 'Anchorman 2' and the boys
- 'Frozen' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $31.6M
- 'Gravity,' 'Her' share L.A. Critics' top prize
- '12 Years a Slave': Best Pic for Boston, N.Y. critics
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Amazing Race' recap: The Final Frontier
- 'Homeland' recap: Loose Cannons
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: Pain and Pan-ic
- Los Angeles Film Critics Awards: 'Gravity' ties with 'Her' for Best Picture, James Franco ties with Jared Leto
- 'SNL' recap: Paul Rudd brings a parade of surprise guest stars -- VIDEO