Danny Rutigliano has been kicking around New York theater circles for years. (His last Broadway credit: the bellhop in the 2011 revival Born Yesterday.) But the fire-hydrant-sized actor finally gets his moment in the center-stage spotlight in the new revival of composer Sheldon Harnick and lyricist Jerry Bock’s 1959 biomusical Fiorello!, running through this Sunday at New York City Center as part of the Encores! series. Rutigliano makes the most of the opportunity, bringing an infectious energy (and some surprisingly light-footed dance moves) to the role of Fiorello LaGuardia, the five-foot-tall New York city pol who challenged the corrupt Tammany Hall machine in the early 20th century before winning his first mayoral race in 1933. (The role famously earned a Tony for Tom Bosley, who’s perhaps better known as Mr. Cunningham in Happy Days.) READ FULL STORY »
Tag: Gypsy (1-1 of 1)
Jan 31 2013 11:58 AM ET
- 'Arrested Development': We'll binge/recap
- Amanda Bynes: 'Don't believe any reports'
- 'Fast & Furious 6': Sung Kang says...
- Memorial Day TV marathons: What's on
- Fox reality boss Mike Darnell steps down
- TV season finales: EW grades
- 'Blue Is the Warmest Color': Cannes review
- 'Arrested Development': Funkes in town!