It’s been almost 10 years since the first episode of Veronica Mars aired in the fall of 2004, and in that decade, a lot of the pretty young faces who traveled the halls of Neptune High have made names for themselves.
A few of those now-famous guests include Lone Ranger star Armie Hammer (season 3′s “Wichita Linebacker”) and Glee cheerleader Dianna Agron (season 3′s “President Evil” and “Weevils Wobble but They Don’t Go Down”), and there are plenty more. During the Entertainment Weekly cover shoot for the Veronica Mars movie, we put the cast to the test to see if they had any idea they were rubbing elbows with future Oscar and Emmy winners way back when.
If you want to play along, find the three questions we asked the cast, plus a couple of bonuses, below. Or just watch the video as Krysten Ritter breaks Chris Lowell’s eardrums with her enthusiastic guesses. (For more Veronica video, check out our on-set chat with the cast and our Facebook-exclusive interview with Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring.)
Let’s solve The Case of the Now-Famous Guest Star!
1. Veronica’s pregnant neighbor, Sarah Williams, goes missing, and Veronica immediately suspects her boyfriend is at fault. What twice-Oscar-nominated actress played the sweet, redheaded Sarah who needs Veronica’s help?
2. Eddie “The Worm” LaRoche, San Diego’s very own Joe Francis, videotapes drunk bar-goers for Girls Gone Wild and is a suspect in the E-String Strangler case. This was the Emmy-winning actor’s first taste of the interrogation room — good prep for his future dealings with the DEA. Who is he?
3. Julia is a real movie lover — so much so that she drives 90 minutes to go to her favorite video store. But it turns out she has an ulterior motive: Julia is secretly visiting her store-clerk son, who doesn’t know that she’s his dad living as a transgender woman. Who is the Oscar-winning actress?
Bonus question! Mrs. Donaldson is a school administrator who covers for her student aide — Madison Sinclair — when the student council election appears to be rigged. The Emmy-winning actress is still working at a school, but she’s traded a sweater tied around her shoulders for a permanent tracksuit. Who is she?
Two-part bonus question! Carrie Bishop, the 09ers’ resident gossip girl, accuses Veronica’s favorite teacher, Mr. Rooks, of having an affair with her. In fact, he had an affair with Carrie’s friend and got her pregnant, but she was too afraid to come forward. Who played Carrie and who played Mr. Rooks?
1. Jessica Chastain (season 1′s “The Girl Next Door”)
2. Aaron Paul (season 1′s “Silence of the Lamb”)
3. Melissa Leo (season 1′s “Meet John Smith”)
Bonus: Jane Lynch (season 1′s “Return of the Kane”)
Two-part bonus: Leighton Meester and Adam Scott (season 1′s “Mars vs. Mars”)