Warning: If you intend to read this post without falling in love with Elijah, you can’t.
For those of you who don’t follow me on Twitter, know me personally, read my mind, or listen in on my weekly conversations with Mandi Bierly, allow me to fill you in on my biggest opposite-of-a-secret: Elijah Mikaelson is my favorite character on television. I quite literally love everything about him, from the actor who portrays him — Daniel Gillies! — to his attire, his actions, his hair, his hand gestures … everything.
Just in case you don’t watch The Originals and/or have never seen The Vampire Diaries, here’s a quick introduction to Elijah “BAMF” Mikaelson: He’s the eldest living brother in the Original family, which means he and his siblings were the first vampires ever created, and therefore, all vamps stem from them. But when a person becomes a vampire, there’s a dominant personality trait that becomes heightened, and unlike most vampires, Elijah’s is his morality. The man always keeps his word. He’s the Original you can trust, and he cares deeply for his friends and family. However, he’s also the commander. Although his brother Klaus might technically be stronger — Klaus is half vampire, half werewolf — Elijah is the most powerful. Other traits to note: He is level-headed. He is beyond elegant with his words (and pronounces Elena “E-lena”). He’s so powerful that he’s feared even though we’ve yet to see his fangs. His cheekbones and jawline are something of a masterpiece. Oh, and his cry face will destroy you.
So last night, viewers who didn’t know Elijah from The Vampire Diaries were introduced to a new side of him on The Originals. Sure, they knew he was compassionate, they knew he looked good in a suit (which he always wears), but they had no idea why he seemed to be the one in charge and/or the extent of his passion … until some witches messed with his family, and this happened:
So why was this scene so epic? Let me break it down for you:
1. This episode marked the first time Elijah wasn’t in a head-to-toe suit. He was in jeans, people! Business-casual Elijah was something we had never seen before, which only heightened the surprise element of this scene. (Side note: Here’s to hoping business casual will someday lead my favorite Original to a leather jacket.)
2. Elijah ripping out hearts is a throwback to season 2 of TVD, back when he killed on an episodic basis. And killing for Elijah means doing it in the fastest, most horrifying way. This vamp doesn’t need to bite you. He’ll have your heart — literally and figuratively — before you even know his last name.
3. And we’re back to the hand gestures! From the confidence with which he holds out the hearts to the nonchalant way he cleans his hands before snapping the witch’s neck, there’s nothing more badass/terrifying than a killer who’s so incredibly decisive, commanding, and calm while killing.
4. “No one hurts my family and lives. No one.” And somehow, his murdering spree is sexy.
5. His interaction with his brother Klaus, from Elijah’s command telling him to release the witch so as not to break his word to Klaus’ adorable smile at his brother’s badassery, this is an Original sandwich I’d love to devour.