16. American Horror Story: Asylum‘s James Cromwell, Outstanding Supporting Actor for a Miniseries or a TV movie:
The classy Cromwell said the word “indefatigable” and pronounced “literally” like Chris Traeger. He didn’t say much else. But maybe that was enough.
17. Modern Family‘s Gail Mancuso, Outstanding Directing For A Comedy Series:
You want family shout-outs? Gail Mancuso has family shout-outs. And they were…well…she shouted people out! A weird joke about playing “Blurred Lines” instead of “Pokerface” fell flat, although presumably it’s hit like dynamite in the demographic of People Related to Gail Mancuso. And she had a Hitchcock shout-out. Jeff Daniels didn’t have a Hitchcock shout-out.
18. Dancing With the Stars’ Derek Hough, Outstanding Choreography:
He thanks lots of people. And then he said “Holy crap.” We support incoherent excitement. But incoherent excitement does not a good speech make.
19. Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn, Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
Gunn’s quietly-powerful performance finally received its due. Gunn herself gave a breathless speech filled with gratitude for everyone she could think of. “Bryan Cranston just told me to breathe,” she said. Good advice!
20. Homeland’s Claire Danes, Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
Claire Danes won the 2013 Actress Trophy, and was in direct speech-competition with Claire Danes, who won the 2012 Actress Trophy. (Remember? Pregnant! Holla!) A lovely tribute to the late Henry Bromell added some energy to an otherwise predictable speech.
NEXT: Try harder, next year!