One score and 11 years ago, Mathew and Tina Knowles brought forth on this continent a new diva, conceived in Texas and dedicated to the proposition that all ’90s pop stars are not created equal. The same year that she reached legal voting age, a fresh-faced Beyoncé found superstardom as the lead singer of Destiny’s Child. And 13 summers later, she’s still one of pop culture’s heaviest hitters.
Today, Bey turns 31 — the age at which women are most beautiful, if a QVC poll is to be believed. But Mrs. Jay-Z has been and will be fierce at any age. So, in honor of the occasion — and this funky single from 4 — let’s count down precisely why we love Queen B so. Here are five reasons to get the ball rolling.
5. Because she knows the show must go on, even when one of your girls takes a tumble. Proof:
4. Because she gave Glee‘s Heather Morris her start. And because “Single Ladies” and the dance thereof remain fantastic, despite all that overexposure in ’08 and ’09.
3. Because without her, “bootylicious” never would have made it into the Oxford English Dictionary. Your mileage may vary on this one.
2. Because her autobiography inspired this dramatic reading, which will make you love Sherri Shepherd forever (provided Queen of Jordan didn’t already do the trick).
1. Because when she forced a fan to sing at one of her concerts, this happened.
Your turn! Say it real loud if you fly!