This was the winter of our disconnect.
Despite the general belief that the Year of the Dragon is supposed to usher in prosperity, such has not proven true for some of our favorite A-listers. In the last month, no fewer than a dozen celebrities have announced that they would be buying one-way tickets on the break-up train straight to Singlesville. What gives?
A quick rundown of the houses divided:
- Project Runway host Heidi Klum and her Grammy-winning husband confirmed this morning they are amicably separating.
- Simon Cowell is taking “a break” from fiancée Mezhgan Hussainy.
- Soul chanteuse Aretha Franklin announced her split from William “Willie” Wilkerson after only three weeks. (In the plus column for Aretha, at least she didn’t go through with it like Sinead “16 Days of Wedded Miss” O’Connor.)
- News has been floating around that Johnny Depp and partner Vanessa Paradis have drifted apart.
- Mena Suvari announced she’s divorcing her second husband Simone Sestito after only 18 months.
- Demi Lovato tweeted, “Never need a man”… while linked to D-list rake Wilmer Valderrama, so that probably didn’t end well.
- Paula Abdul and record exec Jeff Bratton manifest abundance in the heart department no more.
- Remember that time Brandi Glanville was married for, like, five seconds? Yeah, neither does she. Vegas, baby!
And those are just the ones since 2012 officially kicked off! That’s without mentioning late December’s goodbye guys and gals, including Katy Perry and Russell Brand, Debra Messing, Chaz Bono, and Kobe Bryant, to name a few. Perhaps the most tragic break-up of all, it was also reported today that Kris Humphries is parting ways with his PR team. To paraphrase, he needs them like the deserts need the rain, y’all.
What do you think, PopWatchers? Did O’Connor start a snowball effect in late 2011? Or can we trace it back even farther to Kim Kardashian’s Icharean attempt to fly too close to the sun? Did KK+KK kurse the Hollywood kouples kontinuum? How about the late, great Ashton-Demi breakup of 2011? Or is the topsy-turvy relationship turnabout somehow tied to the Zodiac’s favorite wily fire-breather?
Weigh in: Which recent celeb split has made you saddest? Which couples are you surprised to see still together? By which I mean: Who’s splitting next?