Because sometimes, you just need to take things to 11. Nearly three decades after 1984 mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap introduced us to Nigel Tufnel, fans have joined together to declare today, Nov. 11, 2011 (a.k.a. 11/11/11), Nigel Tufnel Day.
The movement (which amassed thousands of fans on Facebook) finds roots in scene between documentarian Marty DiBergi (Spinal Tap director Rob Reiner) and Tufnel (Christopher Guest). Lead guitarist Tufnel shows DiBergi several of his guitars and then, the kicker, a set of speakers that are “very special”: “The numbers all go up to 11,” he says, and, as the camera pans across the dials, he says proudly: “Eleven… 11… 11.” Boom! Watch the iconic scene, and find 11 more amazing Nigel Tufnel quotes, after the jump.
11 more Tufnelisms:
- “I’m really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it’s kind of in-between. It’s like a Mach piece, really.”
– “It’s part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I’m working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don’t know why.”
– “This piece is called, ‘Lick My Love Pump.'” (The name of the composition written in D minor.)
– “It’s like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.”
– “You can’t really dust for vomit.”
– “This is my exact inner structure, done in a tee shirt. Exactly medically accurate. See?”
– “We’ve got Armadillos in our trousers. It’s really quite frightening.”
– “We’re not university material.”
– “Authorities said… best leave it… unsolved.” (About a former bandmate who died in a gardening accident.)
– “It was tragic, really. He exploded on stage.” (About another former bandmate.)
– “That’s just nitpicking, isn’t it?” (In response to a critic’s appraisal that Spinal Tap is “treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.”)
– “Well, so what? What’s wrong with bein’ sexy?” (Misunderstanding accusations their record cover was sexist.)
But, back to why we’re here…
DiBergi: Most amps go up to 10. Does that mean it’s any louder?
Tufnel: Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it?
DiBergi:Why can’t you just make 10 louder?
Tufnel [befuddled pause]: These go to 11.
And there you have it.
What do you think, PopWatchers? Did you join the Nigel Tufnel Day fervor? What’s your favorite Tufnelism? Do you have “Lick My Love Pump” on repeat right now?