When Jon Stewart returned to The Daily Show last night, he was met with some news that disturbed even the veteran cynic. British correspondent John Oliver filled him in on the twisty series of sordid events that have come to light in the midst of the hacking scandal at Rupert Murdoch’s now-shuttered News of the World. Having heard his fair share of corruption stories, Stewart entered the story in good humor. But the anchor’s stomach soon began to churn when he “learned” that NOTW had hacked into 13-year-old murder victim Milly Dowler’s phone. That ill feeling, however, soon shifted to “a schadenfreude-orgasm” when Oliver introduced our unlikely hero: Hugh Grant. As we reported, the acting Prime Minister in Love Actually, himself a victim of phone hacking, went undercover to expose the paper’s underhanded tactics. “That’s right,” declared Oliver, “the guy who got car head from an L.A. road prostitute is now the moral compass of my nation!” Clip after the jump.
Jon Stewart nearly loses lunch over 'News of the World' hacking scandal... and Hugh Grant's role in it
- Oscar de la Renta, designer, dies at 82
- 'Dancing With the Stars': See who went home
- Disney sets 'Moana' as '16 animated feature
- 'Fraggle Rock' actor Gerard Parkes dies at 90
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack on tape
- 'Simpsons World' app to launch today
- 'Mulaney' order cut to 13 episodes
- 'Glee' team's horror comedy a go at Fox
- 'Sleepy Hollow' casts Max Brown as...?
- 'Arrow' casts Vinnie Jones as villain Brick