Tonight’s episode of American Idol gets an 8 out of 12. And that’s not just a subjective number. Indeed, I counted eight contestants tonight who gave themslves at least some small chance of scoring viewer votes or a possible Wild Card performance spot on Thursday. To recap, we saw singers get praised by the judges (Von Smith, Scott MacIntyre), play to smart niche demographics (Kendall Beard), receive special lighting/loving closeups from the producers (Jorge Nuñez), expertly reinvent their songs (Ju’Not Joyner), storm the stage with a purpose (Felicia Barton, Lil Rounds), and even overcome hideous arrangements through pure vocal talent (Kristen McNamara). A few of those folks, in fact, fit more than one category! That’s probably not good news for the entertaining Alex Wagner-Trugman. And it’s a crushing blow to those who were either forgettable (Taylor Who, Nathaniel Marshall) or unforgettably awful (Arianna Afsar). But in any event, Group 3 Semifinal Performance Night was actually pretty entertaining. And on that jaunty note, I’m off to write my full TV Watch recap, which should be live on EW.com early tomorrow morning. In the interim, do watch our latest two episodes of Idolatry — they’ll play back-to-back — embedded below, then hit the comments section with your own thoughts on which three singers will and should advance during Wednesday’s results show!
'American Idol': Group 3 results night might be suspenseful!
- Justin Lin's in as 'Star Trek 3' director
- Joe Cocker, veteran rock singer, dies at 70
- Joe Cocker dies: Celeb tributes on Twitter
- Theater group seeks to show 'The Interview'
- 'Jessica Jones': Mike Colter in as Luke Cage
- George R.R. Martin: I'll show 'The Interview'
- Bill Cosby accused of another assault in '70s
- JibJab tweaks 2014 in new year-in-review clip
- Michael C. Hall sings 'Hedwig' tune in NYC
- 'Mythbusters' on new format, cast changes
- 31 Days of Holiday Binge: December picks