Is there anything better than settling into your seat in an old movie theater — whether that theater’s a traditional palace or more like a barn on the side of a country road? The answer is no, which is why you need to know about Cinema Treasures. The site, founded in 2000, seeks to catalogue, preserve, and save these official (and unofficial) local landmarks. Among the search categories: status (open, closed, renovating, demolished), style (art deco, art moderne, art nouveau, baroque, Beaux-Arts, Cinerama), and location (USA, England, Australia, Canada, New Zealand). Just want to see pretty pictures? Browse through 1,500 of them. Don’t see your favorite cinema treasure? Add it.
Site of the Day: Cinema Treasures
- 'Captain America 2' is No. 1 again: $26.6M
- Tarantino: 'Hateful Eight' not dead yet
- Neil Patrick Harris vs. B'way shout-out
- Fox exec fired over Flight 370 $$ email
- Bieber deport bid: White House says...
- 'Midnight Rider' crew boycott urged
- Lindsay Lohan: 'Sex list' is real,' but...
- 'Mrs Doubtfire 2'? Count Mara Wilson out