Is there anything better than settling into your seat in an old movie theater — whether that theater’s a traditional palace or more like a barn on the side of a country road? The answer is no, which is why you need to know about Cinema Treasures. The site, founded in 2000, seeks to catalogue, preserve, and save these official (and unofficial) local landmarks. Among the search categories: status (open, closed, renovating, demolished), style (art deco, art moderne, art nouveau, baroque, Beaux-Arts, Cinerama), and location (USA, England, Australia, Canada, New Zealand). Just want to see pretty pictures? Browse through 1,500 of them. Don’t see your favorite cinema treasure? Add it.
Site of the Day: Cinema Treasures
- 'Mary Poppins': Karen Dotrice on being 'Jane Banks'
- 'Hit List' on N.Y. stage: It's a 'Smash'!
- NBC plans for a live musical in '14
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Maggie Siff on Tara haters
- Tonys opener: How they did it (Best of 2013)
- 'The Voice' recap: Sleepy semifinal
- 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills': War of words
- 'Sing-Off' returns: First notes on 10 groups
Top 5 Most Read
- AFI movies of the year: 'Her' and '12 Years a Slave' in; 'August: Osage County' out
- 'The Voice' recap: Green Eggs and Adam
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- 15 Blasts From the Past in '13: Winners/Losers
- 'The Voice' top 5 tease song choices for tonight's live performances