Is there anything better than settling into your seat in an old movie theater — whether that theater’s a traditional palace or more like a barn on the side of a country road? The answer is no, which is why you need to know about Cinema Treasures. The site, founded in 2000, seeks to catalogue, preserve, and save these official (and unofficial) local landmarks. Among the search categories: status (open, closed, renovating, demolished), style (art deco, art moderne, art nouveau, baroque, Beaux-Arts, Cinerama), and location (USA, England, Australia, Canada, New Zealand). Just want to see pretty pictures? Browse through 1,500 of them. Don’t see your favorite cinema treasure? Add it.
Dec 18 2008 08:00 PM ET
Site of the Day: Cinema Treasures
- James Gandolfini dies at age 51
- James Gandolfini 'a genius': David Chase
- James Gandolfini dies: Tributes on Twitter
- James Gandolfini: 15 classic 'Tony' lines
- 'Divergent' First Look: See new EW cover
- Kanye... or Lucille Bluth: Who said it?
- Kim, Kanye, and...what to name Baby 'K'?
- 'World War Z': EW movie review