Welcome to the very first Footlights TAQ (Theater Aptitude Quiz)! So here’s how it works: All questions and answers involve shows on Broadway, Off Broadway, or currently on tour (a few them may have recently shuttered). There is a point system for each question, so keep track accordingly as some of them are multi-part in nature. You can find the answers after the jump (then post your score on our message board). Break a leg, all!
1. Using this handy link, how many of these currently running Broadway shows DO NOT have some kind of film incarnation? (Note: movies in the works do not count) (2 pts. for each correct title)
2. What actor, currently the male lead in a Broadway production, has garnered the most Tony Awards? (5 pts.)
3. Match the American Idol alum to the show he is currently starring in (2 pts. each):
Clay Aiken Grease
Constantine Maroulis Ain’t Misbehavin’
Ace Young Monty Python’s Spamalot
Ruben Studdard Rock of Ages
4. Fun With Numbers! Each entry has a number missing as part of a song lyric. Fill in the blanks and then name the musical the lyric is from.
a) “Workin’ ____ to ____, what a way to make a livin’” (1 pt. for each blank, 1 pt. for title of show)
b) “Dance ___, looks ____ and I’m still on unemployment” (1 pt. for each blank, 2 pts. for title of show)
c) “In a bar once I met this guy Dewey, and he bought me like ______ beers” (3 pts. for blank, 3pts. for title of show)
d) “______!” “No me diga!” “______!” “I never win s—!” (2 pts. for each blank, 4 pts. for title of show)
e) “I’d rather be ____ people’s favorite thing than a ______ people’s _____ favorite thing” (3 pts. for each blank, 4 pts. for title of show)
(And if you caught the sly reference made in the last entry, give yourself another point!)
5. How many different types of pills does Beverly say his wife Violet takes in the opening scene of Tracy Letts’ August: Osage County? (10 pts. for correct answer)
6. What colors are the stewardess’ uniforms on the three principal women in Boeing-Boeing? (6 pts. for correct answer)
7. Of the following actresses, who has never had a Broadway stint in Chicago? (3 pts. for correct answer)
8. Name the Four Seasons in Jersey Boys. (2 pts. for each correct member)
9. What is written on the chalkboard onstage behind the band in Spring Awakening? (4 pts. for correct answer)
10. In the stage version of Mamma Mia!, which ABBA song is performed at the curtain call, but not within the actual show? (3 pts. for correct answer)
Answer key and scorecard after the jump.
80-100 ORCHESTRA LEVEL
You are a fierce, proud, Playbill-carrying show queen! Bravo!
60-80 MEZZANINE LEVEL
Not too bad, my friend. You’ll be a diva yet.
40-60 BALCONY LEVEL
Your butt still needs to warm a few more seats.
20-40 STANDING ROOM LEVEL
Do you only get out when Julia Roberts or Katie Holmes grace the stage?
0-20 STREET LEVEL
Dude, get thee to a show! Pronto!
1. 13, August: Osage County, Avenue Q, Dividing the Estate, In theHeights, Jersey Boys, Speed-the-Plow, Spring Awakening, Wicked (totalof 18 pts.)
2. Boyd Gaines, 4 wins (1989-Best Featured Actor in a Play, The HeidiChronicles; 1994-Best Featured Actor in a Musical, She Loves Me;2000-Best Featured Actor in a Musical, Contact; 2008-Best FeaturedActor in a Musical, Gypsy)
3. Aiken: Monty Python’s Spamalot; Maroulis: Rock of Ages; Young: Grease; Studdard: Ain’t Misbehavin’
4. a: nine, five (9 to 5); b: 10, three (A Chorus Line); c: 14(Legally Blonde); d: 96,000, 96,000 (In the Heights); e: nine, hundred,ninth (title of show, of course!)
5. Ten (Valium, Vicodin, Darvon, Darvocet, Percodan, Percocet, Xanax, OxyContin, Black Mollies, Dilaudid)
6. Red, yellow, and blue
7. Christina Applegate
8. Frankie Valli, Bob Gaudio, Nick Massi, Tommy DeVito
9. The titles of the songs to be performed in the show
So PopWatchers, how did you do? Need any hints?
The ghostlight is on…