A man in Wilmington, NC recently set a new Guinness World Record for the most continuous hours of karaoke singing. He sang for 39 hrs. and 2 mins., besting the previous record by just over an hour. While my first thought was, I wonder what instrumental breaks he used for trips to the men’s room, my second thought was almost as practical: How do you come up with a 39-hr. set list?
In case any of you are pondering your own run at the record, I say we all list our current karaoke set lists below for pillaging. I just happened to karaoke earlier this week, and debuted all-new material. (Sorry, Pat Benatar and Bon Jovi. But I’ll be back!)
• Duran Duran’s "Wild Boys": I’m all about the murder (murder murder) echo, and any excuse to visualize Simon and John sharing a mic. (HOT.)
• Cyndi Lauper’s "Change of Heart": Why doesn’t she do the hiccup during the second chorus? S—, I should have asked her when I sat down with her recently on the set of As the World Turns.
• Bel Biv DeVoe’s "Do Me": There is a special place reserved in your brain for those raps, too, I’m sure.
• Aerosmith’s "Cryin’": My new favorite karaoke song, but it comes with a three-drink minimum.
• Mandy Moore’s "Candy" (below): A nice alternative to Britney.
• Celine Dion’s "It’s All Coming Back to Me Now": Honestly, if I didn’t have neighbors, I would belt this song out every night as a stress reliever.