Good news for those folks (including me) rooting for "Falling Slowly" from Once to win the Best Song Oscar: in the dispute over the song’s eligibility, the Academy has ruled in its favor. There was some confusion over whether the song was actually conceived for the film, since stars Glen Hansard (pictured) and Markéta Irglová both released versions of it on disc before the movie came out. Nonetheless the Academy has determined that the song was indeed composed for the movie, which was in the works before the recordings were released. Bottom line: the song won’t be disqualified, like so much other good movie music that didn’t make the cut this year.
Jan 30 2008 04:29 PM ET
'Falling Slowly' is still eligible for a Best Song Oscar. Whew!
- 'Arrested Development': We'll binge/recap
- Memorial Day TV marathons: What's on
- Fox reality boss Mike Darnell steps down
- TV season finales: EW grades
- 'Arrested Development': Funkes in town!
- Jimmy Kimmel: Not the 'Nude Bea' buyer
- 'Fast & Furious': 5 films in 1 day?!
- TV music: Our wishlist (and yours?)