Don’t all fall over at once, but I’m not going to write about an R&B diva or American Idol finalist who’s toiling in obscurity. (¡!) Not today, anyway. Instead, I’d like to direct you to this live performance of Cake’s “Wheels,” from their 2004 disc Pressure Chief, which has to be one of crazy-catchy-coolest little ditties not to achieve national radio saturation in the last few years. Listen to that kicky guitar riff, the goofy yet poignant lyrics, that potent blast of horns. (Where are the horns in pop music anymore, I ask you.) By the time Cake gets to the overlapping “Wheels keep on spinning ’round, spinning ’round, spinning ’round” and “I don’t know why you say you are not in love with me,” the whole thing is more contagious than a case of Chumbawamba. And in a world that has room for two grody Akon singles and The Fray’s ho-hum “How to Save a Life” in the top 10 — all this week! – I have to say I’m dazed and confused by the non-hit-wonder status of “Wheels.” Can anyone explain that to this befuddled blogger? Thanks in advance.addCredit(“Cake: Annamaria DiSanto/WireImage.com”)
'Why Wasn't This a Huge Hit?' (Vol. 4)
- 'The Voice' recap: Sleepy semifinal
- 15 blasts from the past in '13: Winners/losers
- Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' baroness, dies
- 'Community' season 5: First trailer is here!
- 'Fifty Shades' pic: Anastasia kisses Christian
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' role for Callum Keith Rennie
- 'Mentalist': A (SPOILER!) for Lisbon?
- Britney's 'Chaotic' revisited: 5 cringeworthy clips
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- AFI movies of the year: 'Her' and '12 Years a Slave' in; 'August: Osage County' out
- 'The Voice' recap: Green Eggs and Adam
- 15 Blasts From the Past in '13: Winners/Losers
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Check out the sickening season 6 supertease and meet the queens -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO