The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar — I say "helpfully" because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, "In Rosa Vernat Lilium" from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the "Blame Canada"/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat‘s "O Kazakhstan." Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars ("Lose Yourself," "It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp"), look for the last slot to go to "PJ & Rooster" from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Which song deserves an Oscar?
- 'Birdman' wins Best Cast at SAG Awards
- 'Orange,' 'Downton' casts win SAG Awards
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe 2015
- Kaya Scodelario + 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5'
- 'American Sniper' is No. 1 again: $64.4M
- SAG Awards highlights: We live-blogged it
- Rihanna's new song with Kanye, McCartney
- Gymnastic sex scene scores '10' at Sundance
- Netflix: See what's new for February
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2': No role for Ronan
- 'Hateful Eight' supporting cast revealed
- 'Fifty Shades': THAT scene won't be in film