The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar — I say "helpfully" because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, "In Rosa Vernat Lilium" from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the "Blame Canada"/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat‘s "O Kazakhstan." Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars ("Lose Yourself," "It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp"), look for the last slot to go to "PJ & Rooster" from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Which song deserves an Oscar?
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Maggie Siff on Tara haters
- 'Happy Endings' reruns to air on VH1
- Tonys opener: How they did it (Best of 2013)
- EW TV Recap Video: 'Voice,' 'Housewives,' 'Sing-Off'
- 'The Voice' recap: Sleepy semifinal
- 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills': War of words
- 'Sing-Off' returns: First notes on 10 groups
- 15 blasts from the past in '13: Winners/losers
Top 5 Most Read
- AFI movies of the year: 'Her' and '12 Years a Slave' in; 'August: Osage County' out
- 'The Voice' recap: Green Eggs and Adam
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- 15 Blasts From the Past in '13: Winners/Losers
- 'The Voice' top 5 tease song choices for tonight's live performances