The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar — I say "helpfully" because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, "In Rosa Vernat Lilium" from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the "Blame Canada"/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat‘s "O Kazakhstan." Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars ("Lose Yourself," "It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp"), look for the last slot to go to "PJ & Rooster" from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Dec 12 2006 04:35 PM ET
Which song deserves an Oscar?
- 'Wolverine'/Summer Must List: EW cover
- 'X-Men': Evan Peters in as Quiksilver
- Apolo Anton Ohno on 'Minute to Win It': Clip
- 'SNL': Best host of 2012-13? YOU say it's...
- Benedict Cumberbatch in 'Trek' shower?!
- 'Hangover III,' 'F&F 6,' more EW reviews
- 'Nebraska'; Palme d'Or prediction: Cannes
- Google Doodle: Teen's 'Best Day Ever'