The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar — I say "helpfully" because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, "In Rosa Vernat Lilium" from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the "Blame Canada"/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat‘s "O Kazakhstan." Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars ("Lose Yourself," "It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp"), look for the last slot to go to "PJ & Rooster" from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Which song deserves an Oscar?
- 'Sex Box' to debut on WE tv in 2015
- Shonda Rhimes' Thursdays: New ABC promo
- 'Teen Wolf' costar in 'Agents of SHIELD' as...
- 'Dating Naked' sued for failure to blur
- Julianne Hough joins 'DWTS' as fourth judge
- Frankie Valli to visit 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Billy Crystal at Emmy salute to Robin Williams
- 'NCIS': New love interest for DiNozzo?
- Nicki Minaj butts in on 'Anaconda' video
- ABC eyes 'Castle'-inspired 'Derrick Storm'