The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar — I say "helpfully" because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, "In Rosa Vernat Lilium" from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the "Blame Canada"/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat‘s "O Kazakhstan." Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars ("Lose Yourself," "It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp"), look for the last slot to go to "PJ & Rooster" from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Which song deserves an Oscar?
- 'Sons of Anarchy' wraps; see pics from set
- 'Colbert Report' to end Dec. 18
- Reality TV: A genre running out of steam?
- Jack Kirby credit added to Marvel Comics
- Bob Dylan to release covers album in 2015
- Paul Reubens says Pee-wee movie is on
- Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie series to AMC
- 'Arrested Development': A season 4 remix?
- Netflix: See what's new for November
- 'Game of Thrones' actors sign on for season 7