The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar — I say "helpfully" because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, "In Rosa Vernat Lilium" from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the "Blame Canada"/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat‘s "O Kazakhstan." Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars ("Lose Yourself," "It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp"), look for the last slot to go to "PJ & Rooster" from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Which song deserves an Oscar?
- 'Dancing With the Stars': See who went home
- Kevin Smith: Thank 'Tusk' for 'Clerks 3'
- Stephen Chbosky 'Beauty and the Beast' gig
- 'Chicago Fire,' 'P.D.,' 'SVU' in crossover
- Netflix additions: 10 we like in October
- 'Simpsons' character dies; producer says...
- Amanda Bynes arrested for DUI
- Marvel and Jack Kirby family settle lawsuit
- 'Scorpion' react: 'Single Point of Failure'
- 'Atlanta Exes' season 1: How it ended