The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar — I say "helpfully" because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, "In Rosa Vernat Lilium" from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the "Blame Canada"/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat‘s "O Kazakhstan." Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars ("Lose Yourself," "It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp"), look for the last slot to go to "PJ & Rooster" from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Which song deserves an Oscar?
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' teaser next week
- 'The Bridge' canceled by FX
- 'Flash,' 'Jane the Virgin' get full seasons
- Disney sets 'Moana' as '16 animated feature
- TLC reality show to look at answered prayers
- Tatiana Maslany to make N.Y. stage debut
- 'Scandal': Michael Trucco as Abby's ex
- 'Deliverance' adapted as a play: EW review
- 'The Room' actors in a mockumentary?
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack on tape