For those who missed the Green Day/U2 performance the other night at the New Orleans Saints’ first game back at the post-Katrina Superdome (I missed it too — hey, I’m a Broncos fan), Stereogum has helpfully posted the YouTube clip of the collaborating bands’ cover of the Skids’ punk chestnut ”The Saints Are Coming.” Alt-rock purists (like many of the commenters at Stereogum) may scoff, but I thought it worked. It sounded like old-old-school U2, from the ”I Will Follow” era, but the New Orleans-style brass meshed suprisingly well with Edge’s chiming guitar. So it’s official now: ESPN is a better channel for breaking new and exciting music than MTV.
Sep 29 2006 02:27 PM ET
Green Day and U2 on the Skids
- 'Star Wars': New animation in fall '14
- 'SNL': New clue Jason Sudeikis to exit?
- 'Celeb Apprentice': Mr. Trump has hired...
- Justin Bieber booed at Billboard Awards
- Billboard Music Awards winners are...
- TV upfronts: Best/worst decisions
- 'Star Trek' rules at box office: $70.6M
- 'Star Trek': Ranking the TV series, movies
- 'Survivor:' Jeff Probst talks Brenda vs. Dawn, the final challenge advantage, and new reunion show format 458
- All Cried Out 464
- A Whole New World 411
- EW.com's 4th Annual Season Finale Awards: Nominations wanted! 550
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': Let's talk about that ending (and Benedict Cumberbatch) 374