For those who missed the Green Day/U2 performance the other night at the New Orleans Saints’ first game back at the post-Katrina Superdome (I missed it too — hey, I’m a Broncos fan), Stereogum has helpfully posted the YouTube clip of the collaborating bands’ cover of the Skids’ punk chestnut ”The Saints Are Coming.” Alt-rock purists (like many of the commenters at Stereogum) may scoff, but I thought it worked. It sounded like old-old-school U2, from the ”I Will Follow” era, but the New Orleans-style brass meshed suprisingly well with Edge’s chiming guitar. So it’s official now: ESPN is a better channel for breaking new and exciting music than MTV.
Green Day and U2 on the Skids
- Jessica Biel to guest on 'New Girl'
- 'Once Upon a Time' casting Prince Hans
- Stephen Colbert 'Late Show' in N.Y.
- Whitney Houston's mom vs. biopic
- 'Sinister Six' in '16; 'Spidey 3' in '18
- 'Scandal' role for Portia de Rossi
- Michelle Fairley joins 'Resurrection'
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5': July 7, 2017
- 'Simpsons': All episodes going online