For those who missed the Green Day/U2 performance the other night at the New Orleans Saints’ first game back at the post-Katrina Superdome (I missed it too — hey, I’m a Broncos fan), Stereogum has helpfully posted the YouTube clip of the collaborating bands’ cover of the Skids’ punk chestnut ”The Saints Are Coming.” Alt-rock purists (like many of the commenters at Stereogum) may scoff, but I thought it worked. It sounded like old-old-school U2, from the ”I Will Follow” era, but the New Orleans-style brass meshed suprisingly well with Edge’s chiming guitar. So it’s official now: ESPN is a better channel for breaking new and exciting music than MTV.
Green Day and U2 on the Skids
- 'Sharknado 2': 3.9M dive in, a Syfy record
- 'Doctor Who' TV/theatrical dates set
- Rob Zombie crowdfunds killer clown movie
- Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater': Nov. 7
- Dick Smith, makeup effects legend, dies
- Lorde to curate 'Mockingjay' soundtrack
- Allison Williams as Peter Pan for NBC
- 'Essential *NSYNC' is news to *NSYNC?
- Directors push deal for Kodak movie film
- Tom Hiddleston wrote Thanks for Loki note