For those who missed the Green Day/U2 performance the other night at the New Orleans Saints’ first game back at the post-Katrina Superdome (I missed it too — hey, I’m a Broncos fan), Stereogum has helpfully posted the YouTube clip of the collaborating bands’ cover of the Skids’ punk chestnut ”The Saints Are Coming.” Alt-rock purists (like many of the commenters at Stereogum) may scoff, but I thought it worked. It sounded like old-old-school U2, from the ”I Will Follow” era, but the New Orleans-style brass meshed suprisingly well with Edge’s chiming guitar. So it’s official now: ESPN is a better channel for breaking new and exciting music than MTV.
Green Day and U2 on the Skids
- 'Frozen' animated short in spring '15
- 'Gotham' streaming rights go to Netflix
- 'Arrow' digital-first comic is 'Season 2.5'
- DC Comics movie clues in website names?
- CeeLo Green's 'Good Life' canceled by TBS
- Robin Williams' daughter back on Twitter
- Adele: 2 unreleased songs leak (briefly)
- Jennifer Lawrence nude pics: FBI statement
- Justin Bieber: Assault charges in Ontario
- Joan Rivers on life support: Family statement