For those who missed the Green Day/U2 performance the other night at the New Orleans Saints’ first game back at the post-Katrina Superdome (I missed it too — hey, I’m a Broncos fan), Stereogum has helpfully posted the YouTube clip of the collaborating bands’ cover of the Skids’ punk chestnut ”The Saints Are Coming.” Alt-rock purists (like many of the commenters at Stereogum) may scoff, but I thought it worked. It sounded like old-old-school U2, from the ”I Will Follow” era, but the New Orleans-style brass meshed suprisingly well with Edge’s chiming guitar. So it’s official now: ESPN is a better channel for breaking new and exciting music than MTV.
Green Day and U2 on the Skids
- Disney sets 'Moana' as '16 animated feature
- 'Arrow' casts Vinnie Jones as villain Brick
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack on tape
- 'Sleepy Hollow' casts Max Brown as...?
- Hannibal Buress routine vs. Bill Cosby
- Key & Peele movie deal with New Line
- Larry King posts random thoughts on Twitter
- 'Glee' team's horror comedy a go at Fox
- Bethenny Frankel back on 'Real Housewives'
- 'Mulaney' order cut to 13 episodes