For those who missed the Green Day/U2 performance the other night at the New Orleans Saints’ first game back at the post-Katrina Superdome (I missed it too — hey, I’m a Broncos fan), Stereogum has helpfully posted the YouTube clip of the collaborating bands’ cover of the Skids’ punk chestnut ”The Saints Are Coming.” Alt-rock purists (like many of the commenters at Stereogum) may scoff, but I thought it worked. It sounded like old-old-school U2, from the ”I Will Follow” era, but the New Orleans-style brass meshed suprisingly well with Edge’s chiming guitar. So it’s official now: ESPN is a better channel for breaking new and exciting music than MTV.
Green Day and U2 on the Skids
- Tina + Amy: Darth Vader has two mommies?
- Golden Globes: 16 snubs that bugged YOU
- 'Vampire Diaries' midseason finale: What's at stake
- 'Grey's Anatomy': A preview from Sarah Drew
- Golden Globes: 'Comedy' category becoming a joke
- Golden Globes noms: Who's up/down for Oscars?
- Golden Globes TV noms: Nice surprises, nasty snubs
- Jeff Probst on 'Survivor' two-season renewal
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Sons of Anarchy' season finale post-mortem: Burning questions answered
- Beastie Boys sue GoldieBlox for copyright infringement over 'Girls' video
- '12 Years a Slave' and 'American Hustle' lead Golden Globe nominees
- Golden Globes nominations shocking TV snubs
- Lea Michele opens up about Cory Monteith to Ellen DeGeneres