For those who missed the Green Day/U2 performance the other night at the New Orleans Saints’ first game back at the post-Katrina Superdome (I missed it too — hey, I’m a Broncos fan), Stereogum has helpfully posted the YouTube clip of the collaborating bands’ cover of the Skids’ punk chestnut ”The Saints Are Coming.” Alt-rock purists (like many of the commenters at Stereogum) may scoff, but I thought it worked. It sounded like old-old-school U2, from the ”I Will Follow” era, but the New Orleans-style brass meshed suprisingly well with Edge’s chiming guitar. So it’s official now: ESPN is a better channel for breaking new and exciting music than MTV.
Green Day and U2 on the Skids
- HBO GO problems hit 'True Detective'
- Elisabeth Moss: Shirtless/revealing talk
- '300' sequel is No. 1 movie: $45M
- '12 Years' writer on Oscar speech buzz
- 'Band of Brothers' vet dies at 90
- MTV Generation Award to Mark Wahlberg
- 'Spider-Man' in digital comic for kids
- Fox renews 'Mindy,' 'New Girl,' 2 more