Did the dazzling faux-Robert Altman dialogue between Lily Tomlin and Meryl Streep, as they presented the director with his honorary Oscar on Sunday, whet your appetite for Altman’s new film? Check out the actual trailer for the movie, A Prairie Home Companion, due in June. The premise — Garrison Keillor’s popular radio show stages what may be its last broadcast — is ripe for a backstage farce featuring one of Altman’s trademark mega-ensembles, this one featuring Tomlin, Streep, Lindsay Lohan (!), Woody Harrelson, John C. Reilly, Kevin Kline, Tommy Lee Jones, Maya Rudolph (!!), and Virginia Madsen. All of them get face time in the trailer, with pride of place going to Streep and Harrelson as on-air performers. Altman has a real hit-and-miss track record with comedies (M*A*S*H and The Player: terrific; Ready-to-Wear: feh; Beyond Therapy: unwatchable), and there’s not enough in the clip to assure me that this one will actually be funny. Cross your fingers.
Trailer Blazer: 'A Prairie Home Companion'
- 'Honey Boo Boo' canceled by TLC
- Ewan McGregor vs. 'Star Wars' faux fans
- Terry Keenan, Fox News and CNN alum, dies
- 'Thrones': 86,000 answer call for 600 extras
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer: 34.3M views
- Aaron Paul vs. Toys 'R' Us over action figures
- 'Project Runway' winner: 'It's just sinking in'
- J.K. Rowling's new Dolores Umbridge story
- Taylor Swift's '1989': Losing herself in 'pop'?
- Kiera Cass' 'The Heir': See the book cover