Did the dazzling faux-Robert Altman dialogue between Lily Tomlin and Meryl Streep, as they presented the director with his honorary Oscar on Sunday, whet your appetite for Altman’s new film? Check out the actual trailer for the movie, A Prairie Home Companion, due in June. The premise — Garrison Keillor’s popular radio show stages what may be its last broadcast — is ripe for a backstage farce featuring one of Altman’s trademark mega-ensembles, this one featuring Tomlin, Streep, Lindsay Lohan (!), Woody Harrelson, John C. Reilly, Kevin Kline, Tommy Lee Jones, Maya Rudolph (!!), and Virginia Madsen. All of them get face time in the trailer, with pride of place going to Streep and Harrelson as on-air performers. Altman has a real hit-and-miss track record with comedies (M*A*S*H and The Player: terrific; Ready-to-Wear: feh; Beyond Therapy: unwatchable), and there’s not enough in the clip to assure me that this one will actually be funny. Cross your fingers.
Trailer Blazer: 'A Prairie Home Companion'
- 'Mary Poppins': Karen Dotrice on being 'Jane Banks'
- 'Hit List' on N.Y. stage: It's a 'Smash'!
- NBC plans for a live musical in '14
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Maggie Siff on Tara haters
- Tonys opener: How they did it (Best of 2013)
- 'The Voice' recap: Sleepy semifinal
- 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills': War of words
- 'Sing-Off' returns: First notes on 10 groups
Top 5 Most Read
- AFI movies of the year: 'Her' and '12 Years a Slave' in; 'August: Osage County' out
- 'The Voice' recap: Green Eggs and Adam
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- 'Mary Poppins' star talks 50th anniversary and 'Saving Mr. Banks'
- 15 Blasts From the Past in '13: Winners/Losers