I can still remember the first time I heard Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Southern rock fable "Freebird." Way back in 1994. Sean Penn’s future-wife was contemplating suicide from a hotel ledge. So what if it happened at a 4:30 matinee of Forrest Gump — it still meant something to me! And so does the announcement that Skynyrd — along with heavy metalists Black Sabbath (left — that’s Ozzy in the red shirt), jazz legend Miles Davis, New Wave pioneers Blondie, and the Queen-saving Sex Pistols — will be part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s class of 2006. Ah, good times. (Raises lighter.)
Nov 28 2005 08:21 PM ET
Say hello to this year's Rock Hall inductees
- Jennifer Lawrence in 'X-Men': New photo
- 'Star Wars': New animation in fall '14
- 'SNL': New clue Jason Sudeikis to exit?
- 'Celeb Apprentice': Mr. Trump has hired...
- Justin Bieber booed at Billboard Awards
- Billboard Music Awards winners are...
- TV upfronts: Best/worst decisions
- 'Star Trek': Ranking the TV series, movies
- 'Survivor:' Jeff Probst talks Brenda vs. Dawn, the final challenge advantage, and new reunion show format 457
- All Cried Out 463
- A Whole New World 411
- EW.com's 4th Annual Season Finale Awards: Nominations wanted! 557
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': Let's talk about that ending (and Benedict Cumberbatch) 392